India

India
Intinerary Map
Itinerary:

May 15 - 26: Hyderabad, India with the Wharton School of Business. We stayed at the India School of Business Executive Center. Everyday we immersed ourself in the Indian business world and culture through company visits, guest lectures, city tours and networking events with Indian MBA students.
May 26 - 28: Goa, where I stayed with a good friend who works in the real estate industry.
May 28 - June 1: Jaipur - Stayed with a friend's grandmother and two servants.
June 1 - 4: Delhi - I visited a friend from school and stayed with her family in what I would consider a Palace with services fit for a royal family.
June 6 - 9: Leh (in Ladakh, Northern India near Pakistan) - stayed in the Siala Guest House
June 10, 11: Hiking into the Hemis High Altitude Park to Rumbak to stay with a Ladakhi family in the mountains
June 12: Back to Leh
June 13: Fly from Leh to Delhi
June 14: Depart Leh at 2 am - headed for Firenze (Florence), Italia

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Friday, May 25, 2007: Indian Blood Donations

I walked into the Campus Rec Center about two hours ago to shoot hoops with some ISB students. When I entered the main hall, I was surprised to see several rows of students lying in hospital style beds while their blood was being drawn by very unofficial looking "nurses"... then I remembered that a student group was sponsoring a blood drive on campus today. But this wasn't any ordinary blood drive, it was an Indian blood drive. Seeing me enter the door, several students who I know pretty well accosted me, "Hey Mick! Whats up? You want to give some blood?" "Give blood! its for a good cause." Looking around, I think to myself, "This is India. Are you out of your mind? Definitely not a good idea to give blood!" Not wanting to offend anyway, I fumble through several excuses, "I don't want to be tired later," "I'm scared of needles..." etc. Then one guy looks at me, "Don't lie. You don't think its safe." He was right. I replied, "Not that it isn't safe, I just don't really feel comfortable." I was a bit skeptical of how sanitary it was, especially for an American whose body isn't primed for Indian bacteria. Ultimately, I didn't give blood (Don't worry, Mom). I didn't even consider it. After my workout, about an hour or so later, I came back out into the main hall. The crowd had dispersed, the beds and equipment were gone, and the nurses had "cleaned up" and went home. But as one would expect in India - there were drops of blood all over the floor, bloody napkins still in the trash can and I realized - even at ISB, India is still India. Good idea not to give blood.

No comments: