India

India
Intinerary Map
Itinerary:

May 15 - 26: Hyderabad, India with the Wharton School of Business. We stayed at the India School of Business Executive Center. Everyday we immersed ourself in the Indian business world and culture through company visits, guest lectures, city tours and networking events with Indian MBA students.
May 26 - 28: Goa, where I stayed with a good friend who works in the real estate industry.
May 28 - June 1: Jaipur - Stayed with a friend's grandmother and two servants.
June 1 - 4: Delhi - I visited a friend from school and stayed with her family in what I would consider a Palace with services fit for a royal family.
June 6 - 9: Leh (in Ladakh, Northern India near Pakistan) - stayed in the Siala Guest House
June 10, 11: Hiking into the Hemis High Altitude Park to Rumbak to stay with a Ladakhi family in the mountains
June 12: Back to Leh
June 13: Fly from Leh to Delhi
June 14: Depart Leh at 2 am - headed for Firenze (Florence), Italia

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Friday, June 1, 2007: Final Day in Delhi

Its my final day (Saturday, June 2) in Dehli. Tomorrow, I depart at 7:40 am tomorrow morning by train for Chandigarh as part of the final leg of my trip which heads North into the Himalayas. Apparently, Chandigarh is the only planned and developed city in all of India. North of Delhi in the Punjab region, Its known for its high standard of living and was designed by the French architect, le Corbusier in the 1950s. I am visiting another friend there. I am excited about the train ride. I have been told the Indian rail system is an experience in itself. After spending the day in Chandigarh, I'm then boarding a bus for Manali where I am staying with the same friend's grandmother. I'll spend a day or two in Manali and then finally make my way to Leh in the far north Himalayas (this is what I am really excited for!).We spent the day on Friday touring around Delhi but never getting out of the car. It was just too hot. Even with A/C on full blast, I sweat right through my shirt. Delhi is an impressive place especially the area of town which houses all the government administration for the Capitol. We had a south Indian lunch at a trendy hotel restaurant in town. The place was packed and the kitchen was churning out dosas, idly, and a variety of other quick snacks by the dozen.Last night, Sanam had a few friends over and we had a bar setup for us at her house. I met the chef and got a tour of the kitchen. They have a tandoor oven and everything - the chef really appreciate my sincere interest and gratitude for his work. The food here has been amazing. We also ate a nice dinner then went out on the town. Delhi nightlife is sophisticated, trendy and expensive. It reminded me of being out in NYC. Drinks cost $12. Everyone gives everyone else a look over. The Bollywood star who decided to make an appearance at the restaurant / lounge we went to known as Tabula Rasa was the talk of the night.Today, the plan is to visit a few more places in town. Eat sushi for the first time in weeks (haven't had non-Indian food in a while)! Then go see a recently released Bollywood film with English subtitles. Tonight there is a pool party at someone's house.

No comments: